Prepaid MasterCard Card Tutorial
MetaBank Prepaid MasterCard® Cardholder Agreement
THIS AGREEMENT CONTAINS AN ARBITRATION CLAUSE
THIS CARD IS NOT A CREDIT CARD. THERE IS NO LINE OF CREDIT ISSUED OR ATTACHED TO THE CARD. THIS IS A PREPAID MASTERCARD CARD.
Last Updated: January 29, 2009 (“Effective Date”). Any subsequent changes to this MetaBank Prepaid MasterCard Cardholder Agreement will be dated and can be found and read in the corresponding MetaBank Prepaid MasterCard Cardholder Agreement on the ProPay website. This MetaBank Prepaid MasterCard Cardholder Agreement may be amended, modified or revised at any time, without notice. While notification to you of said amendments, modifications or revisions may be made, it is your sole responsibility to review and maintain familiarity with this MetaBank Prepaid MasterCard Cardholder Agreement, including any changes that may be made thereto. Any subsequent amendments, modifications, or revisions made to this MasterCard Cardholder Agreement will be fully binding upon you as governing the use of your MetaBank Prepaid MasterCard Card.
2. FDIC Insurance. The cash value in your ProPay Payments Account which is accessible by your Prepaid MasterCard Card is not held in a checking or other consumer asset account at the Bank. No interest will be paid on the balances or amounts transferred to or balances accessed from your ProPay Payments Account to your Card. The funds reflected in the available balance in your ProPay Payments Account are FDIC insured up to the maximum amount permitted by law.
3. About Your Application. Before we approve your application and issue a Card to you, you must meet the eligibility requirements set forth herein and agree to each of the following conditions:
a. Verification of personal information. You must be at least eighteen (18) years old, and a resident of the United States with a physical address in the United States or its territories. Pursuant to applicable state and federal law, the identity of each applicant will be verified. You acknowledge that, in order to receive a Card , you must give the Bank sufficient information and documentation to verify your identity. You agree to give the Bank any information and/or documentation the Bank may reasonably request to verify your identity. You also authorize us to make any inquiries we consider appropriate or necessary to verify your identity. The Bank in its sole discretion reserves the right to decline your application, including but not limited to the Bank’s inability to verify your personal information.
b. No liens. You agree that you will not allow the cash value in your ProPay Payments Account which is accessible by your Card to become subject to any lien, judgment, attachment or execution at any time (Please see Section 26 below).
c. E-mail notices. When you apply for your Card, you agree to download or print the electronic version of this Agreement from the ProPay website (http://www.propaypayments.com/legal/cardagreement.aspx) for your future reference (Please see Sections 5 and 17(b) below for information about how you may ask us for a paper (printed) copy of this Agreement, including the Copy Fee that will apply). You also agree to accept e-mail notices and disclosures from the Issuer, and you agree to view your Completed Transactions Reports on the ProPay website at www.propaypayments.com (see Sections 20 and 21 below). If you withdraw your consent to accept e-mail notices and disclosures from the Issuer, and to view your Completed Transactions Reports on the ProPay website, we may cancel your Card.
d. Current address. You agree to keep your e-mail and U.S. Mail addresses current. If your e-mail or U.S. Mail address changes, you agree to notify us immediately of the change, by either telephoning us at 1-800-365-7816, writing us at MetaBank c/o ProPay, Inc., 3400 N Ashton Blvd, Suite 200, Lehi, UT 84043, contacting us at ProPay Customer Service, or contacting us through our web address at www.propaypayments.com. If we try to send you any e-mail or U.S. Mail, using the most recent address we have on file for your Card, and receive a message that the e-mail or U.S. Mail is undeliverable because the address is no longer valid, we may cancel your Card.
e. Card Issuance. Once your application has been approved, your Card will be issued within a 4 to 6 week period.
4. Card Description. Your Card accesses only the balance held in your ProPay Payments Account. The Bank accesses your ProPay Payments Account balance when the Card is used by presenting your Card in person, or by authorizing use of your Card by giving your Card number, to any participating merchant, financial institution, or automated teller machine ("ATM") that accepts Prepaid MasterCard Cards or that displays the MasterCard brand mark (or the Cirrus® brand mark to the extent that it is still in use). Your Card will be deactivated if: (i) this Agreement is terminated as set forth below; (ii) your ProPay Payments Account is closed; or (iii) you fail to pay the Account Fee as described in Section 17 (j). Transaction limitations apply as described in Section 10 below. This Card will remain the property of MetaBank and must be surrendered upon demand. The Card is nontransferable, and it may be canceled, repossessed, or revoked at any time without prior notice, subject to applicable law. Additional terms and conditions apply to the use of your Card, as explained below.
5. Agreement. This MetaBank Prepaid MasterCard Cardholder Agreement, together with all other documents we give you pertaining to your Card (collectively, this "Agreement"), including but not limited to the EFT Agreement, eCommunications Agreement, and the Privacy and Error Resolution Policies, constitutes a contract that establishes the rules that govern your Card, the use of your Card, and your ProPay Payments Account. Please read this Agreement carefully and keep a copy for your future reference. This Agreement is the final written expression of the agreement between you and the Bank concerning your Card, and this Agreement may not be contradicted by evidence of any alleged oral agreement. By requesting a Card from us or by signing or using your Card or ProPay Payments Account, you agree to the terms, conditions and provisions of this Agreement, the EFT Agreement, eCommunications Agreement, and the Privacy and Error Resolution Policies. If you have any questions or if you would like to request a paper (printed) copy of the current version of this Agreement, please call us at 1-800-365-7816 (Please see Section 17(b) below for the Copy Fee that will apply to any such request).
6. Liability for Charges. You agree to the charges set forth in the Service Charges Section of this Agreement (see Section 17 below). You authorize ProPay to deduct these charges automatically, as they accrue, directly from the balance in your ProPay Payments Account for the use of your Card. You agree to pay all additional reasonable charges we assess for services you request that are not covered by this Agreement.
7. Adding Value that you can access by your Card from your ProPay Payments Account. One or more of the following methods may be used to add value to your ProPay Payments Account balance which is accessible by your Card:
a. Third Party ProPay Affiliates. Value may be added to your ProPay Payments Account by receipt of funds from a Third Party ProPay Affiliate. If your ProPay Payments Account is established because of your connection or relationship to a corporation or business entity that owes you money, it may pay you what it owes you by transferring money to your ProPay Payments Account which is accessible by your Card. Amounts transferred by Third Party ProPay Affiliates to your ProPay Payments Account may become available for access through your Card, upon receipt of the amount transferred by the Third Party ProPay Affiliate.
b. Electronic Transfer (ACH). Value may be added to your ProPay Payments Account by ACH Transfer from a "Verified Account" of yours at another financial institution as described in the EFT Agreement. You may add funds to your ProPay Payments Account by instructing ProPay to transfer funds from said Verified Account to your ProPay Payments Account. These transferred funds will then become available for access through your Card. The Verified Account must be a U.S. based checking account as described in the EFT Agreement. Amounts transferred may take up to seven days to become available in your ProPay Payments Account for access through your Card.
We reserve the right to limit the total dollar value that may be accessible by your Card from your ProPay Payments Account at any given time, and also reserve the right to limit the dollar amount that you can access by your Card from your ProPay Payments Account in any given transaction. We also reserve the right to add or discontinue any method for transferring funds to your ProPay Payments Account which will be accessible by your Card. We reserve the right to reverse or adjust any dollar amount accessible by your Card from your ProPay Payments Account in error.
We only allow you to access funds from your ProPay Payments Account that are denominated in U.S. currency for use of your Card. We may, in our sole discretion, refuse to allow access to and/or return any item presented to us for access to your ProPay Payments Account by your Card. When the Bank accepts any item for access to your ProPay Payments Account by your Card or for collection, we will process the item to collect payment; we will not, however, become the owner of the item. We will not be responsible beyond the exercise of ordinary care in processing for access, by your Card, to your ProPay Payments Account.
ProPay will give only provisional credit until collection is final for any items, other than cash, that are accepted for the purpose of increasing the balance in your ProPay Payments Account for access by your Card. We are not responsible for transactions submitted to us by mail or outside depository.
8. Your PIN. You will establish your Personal Identification Number ("PIN") by telephone at the time you activate your Card. You will have to provide the PIN whenever you use the Card for ATM cash withdrawals. Your PIN is an important security feature protecting the use of your card and you should take all reasonable precautions to protect it and make sure that it is only ever known to you. When assigning a PIN during the card activation process, do not select an easily predicted value such as a birth year or your home address. When using an ATM for cash withdrawals, take reasonable precautions when entering your PIN so that others may not observe it. Do not write or disclose your PIN to anyone. It is best to memorize your PIN. Avoid using an ATM or POS device that appears to be tampered with or not legitimate. If you believe that anyone has gained unauthorized access to your PIN, you should advise us immediately, following the procedures in Section 21(b) below.
9. Use of Card.
a. Limited to ProPay Payments Account Value You may not use your Card to make a purchase or to obtain cash in excess of the balance in your ProPay Payments Account (minus any balance that is subject to a hold due to a pre-authorization on your card or any other reason). If for any reason a purchase or cash transaction has exceeded the balance on your ProPay Payments Account, you are responsible for repaying ProPay in full and upon demand the amount by which any purchase or cash transaction has exceeded the balance on your ProPay Payments Account. ProPay may automatically deduct any amount you owe under this Agreement from any future transfer of funds to your ProPay Payments Account. If you fail to pay ProPay for any excess amounts accessed in your ProPay Payments Account by you using your Card, or any amounts owed under this Agreement, and ProPay refers your obligation to an attorney who is not the salaried employee of ProPay, you agree to pay any reasonable attorney's fees incurred, plus the costs and expenses of any legal action, to the extent permitted by law. If you permit someone else to use your Card we will treat this as if you have authorized such use and you will be responsible for any transactions made subject to such use.
You also in your individual capacity (even though you may place a title or other designation next to your signature), jointly and severally unconditionally guarantee and promise to pay ProPay all indebtedness at any time arising under or related to the Card accessing funds in your ProPay Payments Account or the EFT Agreement, as well as any extensions thereof. As guarantor, you wave: (i) demand, protest, and notice of non-payment; (ii) any defense arising by reason of any defense of Applicant or other guarantor; and (iii) the right to require ProPay to proceed against Applicant or any other guarantor, to pursue any remedy in connection with the guaranteed indebtedness, or to notify guarantor of any additional indebtedness incurred by the Applicant, or any change in the Applicant's financial condition. You also authorize ProPay, without notice or consent, to (i) extend, modify, compromise, accelerate, renew, increase or otherwise change the terms of the guaranteed indebtedness; (ii) proceed against one or more guarantors without proceeding against the Applicant or another guarantor; and (iii) release or substitute any Applicant, Co-Applicant and/or guarantor. You agree (i) you will pay ProPay's costs and attorney's fees in enforcing the guarantee; (ii) this guaranty is made in Utah and will be governed by Utah law; and (iii) this guarantee shall benefit ProPay and successors and assigns.
b. Using your Card to pay for part of a purchase. With the prior consent of the relevant merchant or financial institution, if the balance in your ProPay Payments Account which is accessible by your Card is not enough to pay for a purchase or other transaction, you may be able to pay the difference between the balance in your ProPay Payments Account which is accessible by your Card (minus any value subject to a hold due to a pre-authorization or any other reason) and what you owe the merchant or financial institution by giving the merchant or financial institution cash, a personal check, a major credit card, or an ATM/debit card.
c. Pay-at-the-Pump. The card can be used for "Pay at the Pump" gasoline transactions with some limitations. You must select “credit,” not “debit” when using your card at the pump terminal. You must have at least $75 in your ProPay Payments Account for the transaction to be authorized. If the final transaction amount is less than the $75 authorized, the difference will not be available for use until the transaction settles, which may be 2-3 business days after the transaction occurred. The settlement of the transaction and release of the difference between the amount authorized and the final transaction amount is dependent upon the gas station where the purchase occurred and cannot be controlled by ProPay. If you have less than $75 in your ProPay Payments Account and wish to purchase a specific amount of gasoline, you must complete the transaction at the cashier’s desk.
d. Transfers to Foreign Accounts. You cannot transfer any ProPay Payments Account balance to a foreign bank as described in the EFT Agreement.
10. Types of Card Transactions; Transaction Limitations. We may limit the total number of transactions on your Card, and the total amount you may purchase or otherwise withdraw using your Card to $2,500 per day. Additional limitations apply to certain types of Card transactions. However, we are capable of handling the following types of Card transactions, subject to the limitations noted below:
a. Automatic Recurring Payments. You may arrange for certain types of recurring payments to be made automatically from the balance in your ProPay Payments Account which is accessible by your Card. To initiate these automatic recurring payments, you must use your 16-digit Card number and the payment must be made through a merchant that accepts MasterCard Debit Cards.
b. ATM and Financial Institution Transactions. You may use your Card to obtain cash at participating ATMs and financial institutions that accept MasterCard Debit Cards or that display the MasterCard brand mark (or the Cirrus® brand mark to the extent that it is still in use). The services available at ATMs may vary by ATM. For security reasons, we may limit you to a total of two (2) cash withdrawals per day, and may also limit the amount of cash that can be withdrawn from the balance in your ProPay Payments Account which is accessible by your Card to a total of $1,000 per day. Certain ATMs may impose separate limits on the amount of cash that can be withdrawn per transaction. Certain ATMs may also charge fees (in addition to the Cash Transaction Fee described in Section 17(a) below) for cash withdrawals, which fees should be disclosed to you at the time of the transaction.
c. Point-of-Sale Transactions. You may use your Card to make purchases at participating locations that accept MasterCard Debit Cards. You must select "Credit," not "Debit," when using your Card at self-service point-of-sale (POS) terminals, like the terminals commonly used at grocery and convenience stores. We reserve the right to refuse to pay, honor or settle any obligation incurred with, or through the use of, your Card that is presented to us in any manner other than through the MasterCard network.
11. Important Notice Concerning Merchant Pre-authorizations and Holds. Your Card is not well suited for transactions that involve merchant pre-authorizations. If you use your Card to pay certain merchants, they may obtain a pre-authorization for the transaction. Examples of merchants that perform this pre-authorization are hotels and car rental companies. A fourteen-day hold may be placed on your Card in the amount of the merchant's pre-authorization request. If the merchant's pre-authorization request varies from the amount of the transaction the merchant subsequently submits to the MasterCard system, settlement of the transaction may not remove the hold, which may remain on your Card until the fourteen days have expired. If your Card is subject to a hold, the balance in your ProPay Payments Account that is subject to a hold will not be available to you for withdrawal or other purposes, apart from the transaction that was the reason for the pre-authorization hold.
12. Acceptance of your Card. The Bank is not responsible for the failure of any merchant or financial institution to accept or honor your Card. The Bank also is not responsible for the quality, quantity, price, terms or conditions of any goods or services you purchase from a merchant with your Card. Unless applicable law otherwise requires, if you make a purchase with your Card and the merchant discloses a policy such as "no returns," "no refund," "no return or credit without receipt," "as is," "store credit only," "all sales final" or similar statements, you will be bound by that policy. (Please also see Section 28 below.)
13. Illegal and Prohibited Transactions. You may not use your Card for any illegal transactions, at casinos, or for any gambling activity. You also agree that, to the extent permitted by applicable MasterCard rules and regulations, the Bank may refuse to authorize any transaction submitted by any merchant for authorization. However, if you use, or allow someone else to use, your Card for any unlawful purpose, you will be responsible for such use and may be required to reimburse the Bank and/or MasterCard for all amounts or expenses the Bank and/or MasterCard pays as a result of such use. You understand that it is your responsibility to determine if the transactions for which you use or allow someone else to use your Card or Card number are lawful and that neither the Bank nor MasterCard is responsible for determining the legality of such transactions.
14. Telephone Monitoring, Recording and Contacts. To ensure that customers receive quality service, and that Card-related or ProPay Payments Account-related calls are conducted in a manner consistent with Bank policy, the Bank randomly selects phone calls for monitoring and/or recording. These calls are monitored and/or recorded solely for evaluation by supervisors, and/or for training, monitoring for compliance purposes, and quality control, to help ensure that prompt, courteous assistance and accurate information are delivered in a professional manner. You agree that any call between a representative of the Bank and you may be monitored and/or recorded for these purposes. You further agree that: (i) you have an established business relationship with us and may be contacted from time to time regarding your Card or ProPay Payments Account; (ii) such contacts are not considered unsolicited or inconvenient; and (iii) any such contact may be made using any cellular or other number you may have given us, using any e-mail address you may have provided to us, or using an automated dialing and announcing or similar device, unless you notify us otherwise or unless otherwise prohibited by law.
15. Credit or Information Inquiries. You agree that the Issuer may make such inquiries as the Issuer deems appropriate in connection with the processing of your application for a Card, and the issuance and continued maintenance of your Card, including (for example) the processing of funds transfers sent to your ProPay Payments Account which are accessible by your Card. This may include inquiries to consumer reporting agencies and others. The Issuer can furnish information concerning your Card, your use of your Card, and Card transactions to consumer reporting agencies and others who may properly receive that information.
16. Card Benefits. From time to time various additional features, services and enhancements may be made available to you in connection with your Card. The Issuer is not liable for these features, services, and enhancements, and such features, services, and enhancements are the sole responsibility of the third party provider. You agree to hold the Issuer harmless from any claims, actions, or damages resulting from your use of any of these features, services, or enhancements, to the extent permitted by applicable law. The Issuer reserves the right to adjust, add, or delete benefits and services made available in connection with your Card at any time.
17. Service Charges. The following fees will be charged for the issuance, maintenance and use of your Card. You agree these fees may be deducted automatically from the balance in your ProPay Payments Account.
a. Cash Transaction Fee. A Cash Transaction Fee of $2.00 will be charged each time you obtain cash from an ATM or a financial institution using your Card. This fee is in addition to any fee that may be charged by the owner or operator of the ATM (or any ATM network used to complete the cash withdrawal) or by the financial institution honoring your Card. Any fee charged by the owner or operator of the ATM (or any ATM network used) for a cash withdrawal will also be deducted from your ProPay Payments Account.
b. Copy Fee. A Copy Fee of $2.50 per page may be charged for each paper (printed) copy of a transactions report, notice, disclosure, e-mail, or other document you request (including, without limitation, any paper copy of this Agreement you request).
c. Transaction Fee for Purchases, Cash Advances, and ATM withdrawals made in Foreign Currencies. Purchases, Cash Advances, and ATM withdrawals made in currencies other than U.S. Dollars will be converted to U.S. Dollars under the operating regulations or foreign currency conversion procedures established by MasterCard International then in effect. Conversion to U.S. Dollars may occur on a date other than the date of the transaction; therefore, the currency conversion rate may be different from the rate in effect at the time of the transaction. We do not determine the currency conversion rate that is used. You agree to pay the converted amount. For each purchase or cash advance made in a foreign currency, we add an additional 2% of the amount of the purchase or cash advance after its conversion into U.S. Dollars. For each ATM withdrawal made in a foreign currency, we add an additional $3.00 to the amount withdrawn after its conversion into U.S. Dollars. MasterCard International will establish a currency conversion rate for this purpose. We do not keep any portion of the MasterCard International currency conversion rate.
d. ATM Inquiry Fee. You agree to pay a $1.00 ATM Inquiry Fee for each inquiry, domestically or internationally, that you make at an ATM to view the current balance in your ProPay Payments Account. The fee will be charged even if you do not use the ATM to complete a cash transaction.
e. Card Replacement Fee. In the event that the Card is reported lost or stolen, a Card Replacement Fee of $4.95 will be charged to issue a new Card to you. However, if your Card is stolen and you show actual proof of theft (i.e. - a police report) you may be eligible to receive a replacement Card free of charge. You may receive one replacement Card free of charge per year if your previous Card is worn out or the Card's magnetic strip ceases to function. You must send the damaged Card to ProPay to avoid being charged for the replacement Card.
f. Card Rush Delivery Fee. A Card Rush Deliver Fee of $49.00 will be charged for delivery of your Card or any replacement Card using a method other than standard U.S. Mail.
g. Failed Delivery Fee. Subsequent to Card acceptance and issuance, if we are unable to confirm delivery of your Card, you will be charged with all costs associated with any and all Card re-delivery attempts. You may also be charged an additional fee for said delivery service.
h. Stop Payment Fee. A Stop Payment Fee of $20.00 will be charged when you make, and we execute a request to stop a pre-authorization transfer from your Card.
i. Processing Fee. You agree to pay a Processing Fee of $80.00 to ProPay in the event it is determined that ProPay must return funds owing to you under this Agreement (as described in Section 9(e)) that remain in your ProPay Payments Account or otherwise in possession of ProPay attributable to you to any state or other government body as a result of any unclaimed property or similar laws, to reimburse ProPay for the cost of making such a determination and for processing any attendant documentation.
j. ProPay Payments Account Fee. A ProPay Payments Account Fee (“Account Fee”) of up to $29.95, depending on account type and Third Party ProPay Affiliation, will be assessed for a one or two year ProPay Payments Account. This Account Fee may or may not be paid in whole or in part by a Third Party ProPay Affiliate. The Account Fee may be assessed in the month prior to your Account expiration date; either in the 11th month for a one year Account or the 23rd month for a two year Account. You will have the option to renew your Account at the time of renewal. You may cancel your Account at any time by providing ProPay notice of the cancellation. If you cancel within 30 days of the date of your payment of your Account Fee for the Initial Term, ProPay will refund up to fifty percent (50%) of your Account Fee to you. If you cancel your Account 31 days or more after the date of your payment of your Account Fee, your Account Fee will not be refunded and your Account will be cancelled. If you have not cancelled your Account and if the Account Fee is not paid by midnight on the Account expiration date by you or a Third Party ProPay Affiliate, the Account Fee will be deducted from your ProPay Payments Account and assessed on a monthly basis (starting at noon on the day after your Account expiration date). The Account Fee will be equal to $2.50 per month under the respective Renewal Term (one year). In the event any Account Fee is not paid for any reason, this Agreement may be terminated and your Account closed. To reopen the Account or renew any service, an application may be required and all fees, including an Account Fee.
18. Receipts. When using your Card at an ATM or point-of-sale terminal, you should receive an acknowledgement or receipt at the time of your Card transaction. The day of your Card transaction may not be the same day the transaction is deducted from your ProPay Payments Account. Your monthly Completed Transactions Report (as described in Section 19 below) will describe your ATM and point-of-sale Card transactions.
19. Completed Transactions Reports. We will make a Completed Transactions Report, which details all of your Card activity, available to you each month. We will provide your Completed Transactions Reports electronically (see Section 20 below) on the ProPay website (www.propaypayments.com). You agree to notify the Issuer promptly if you are not able to access your Completed Transactions Report on the ProPay web site at www.propaypayments.com.
You agree to examine your Completed Transactions Report immediately after we first make it available to you for review, and notify the Issuer immediately of any erroneous, improper or unauthorized transactions reflected on your Completed Transactions Report (Please see Section 21 below). If there is an error on your Completed Transactions Report and you do not advise the Bank of that error within 60 days after the Bank first made your Completed Transactions Report available to you for review, you will be bound by what your Completed Transactions Report shows, subject to Section 21 below.
If you withdraw your consent to accept e-mail notices and disclosures from the Bank, and to view your Completed Transactions Reports on our website, we may cancel your Card. You may withdraw your consent by either telephoning us at 1-800-365-7816 or writing us at MetaBank c/o ProPay, 3400 N Ashton Blvd, Suite 200, Lehi, UT 84043.
We require five (5) business days in which to process your consent withdrawal. During the five (5) business days after we receive your consent withdrawal, we may continue to send you e-mail notices and disclosures, and we may continue to make your Completed Transaction Reports available for viewing at the ProPay website at www.propay.com.
If for any reason we do not make your Completed Transactions Reports available for viewing on our website, we will mail you your Completed Transactions Reports via U.S. Mail, without charge. We may also e-mail or mail you via U.S. Mail, without charge, other notices and disclosures concerning your Card, at our option.
You have the right to receive copies of electronic Completed Transactions Reports, or any e-mail notice or electronic (including website) disclosures the Bank may give you concerning your Card, in paper (printed) form upon request. You agree to pay the Bank the Copy Fee described in Section 17(b) above for each paper (printed) copy of a Completed Transactions Report, e-mail notice or electronic (including website) disclosure sent to you at your request via U.S. Mail.
21. Unauthorized Use.
a. Certain MasterCard Transactions. In accordance with ProPay’s Error Resolution Policy, you will not be liable for any unauthorized MasterCard Transactions (as defined below) that are posted to your Card, provided all of the following three conditions are met:
- Your Card and ProPay Payments Account must be in good standing (e.g., not presently or recently overdrawn, and not presently or recently under suspicion of possible illegal or suspicious use);
- The Bank has not received more than one (1) other report of unauthorized use of your Card in the last 12 months; and
- You exercised reasonable care in safeguarding your Card, Personal Identification Number ("PIN"), and Card number, as reasonably determined by the Bank.
For purposes of this Section 21(a), transactions are "MasterCard Transactions" only if they are processed directly by the MasterCard system. "MasterCard Transactions" do not include any cash received from an ATM (or a similar machine) or from a financial institution using your Card. We will consider a transaction using a PIN as the verification method to be authorized. Unauthorized use means the use of a card by a person other than the cardholder who does not have actual, implied, or apparent authority for such use, and from which the cardholder receives no benefit.
b. Your liability for unauthorized use. In accordance with ProPay’s Error Resolution Policy, notify us AT ONCE if you believe your Card, 16-digit Card number, or your PIN has been lost or stolen. Notifying us immediately will help minimize your potential loss of funds. You could lose your entire ProPay Payments Account balance which is accessible by your Card. If you notify the Issuer within two (2) business days, your maximum loss would be no more than $50 if someone used your Card, 16-digit Card number, and/or PIN without your permission.
If you do NOT notify us within two (2) business days after you learn of the loss or theft of your Card, 16-digit Card number, and/or PIN, and we can prove we could have stopped someone from using your Card, 16-digit Card number, and/or PIN without your permission if you had notified us, you could lose as much as $500.
Also, if your Completed Transactions Report shows transfers that you did not make, notify us at once. If you do not notify us within sixty (60) days after your Completed Transactions Report was first made available to you for review, you may not get back any money you lost after the sixty (60) days if the Issuer can prove that we could have stopped someone from using the balance in your ProPay Payments Account which is accessible by your Card, if you had notified us in time. If a good reason (such as a long trip or a hospital stay) kept you from notifying us, we will extend these time periods.
c. Contact the Bank in the event of unauthorized transfer. If you think your Card, 16-digit Card number, and/or PIN has been lost or stolen or that someone has transferred or may transfer funds from your ProPay Payments Account which is accessible by your Card without your permission, call us at 1-800-365-7816, or write:
MetaBank c/o ProPay
3400 N Ashton Blvd
Lehi, UT 84043
ProPay Customer Service
Web Address: www.propaypayments.com
d. Error resolution procedures.
If you think your Completed Transactions Report or ATM or receipt is wrong, or if you need more information about a transfer listed on your Completed Transactions Report or receipt, or in case of errors or questions about your card transactions, call us at 1-800-365-7816, or write us at:
MetaBank c/o ProPay
3400 N Ashton Blvd
Lehi, UT 84043
ProPay Customer Service
Web Address: www.propaypayments.com
We must receive notification from you no later than sixty (60) days after we made available to you for review the FIRST Completed Transaction Report on which the problem or error appeared. Give us the following information:
- Your name and 16-digit Card number.
- A description of the error or the transfer you are unsure about, and explain as clearly as you can why you believe it is an error or why you need more information.
- The dollar amount of the suspected error.
If you notify us orally, we may require that you send us your complaint or question in writing within ten (10) business days. We will determine whether an error occurred within ten (10) business days after we receive notification from you and will correct any error promptly. If we need more time, however, we may take up to forty-five (45) days to investigate your complaint or question. If we decide to do this, we will credit your ProPay Payments Account within ten (10) business days for the amount you think is in error, so that you will have the use of the balance in your ProPay Payments Account which is accessible by your Card during the time it takes us to complete our investigation. If we ask you to put your complaint or question in writing and we do not receive it within ten (10) business days, we may not credit your ProPay Payments Account.
For errors involving new Cards, point-of-sale, or foreign-initiated transactions, we may take up to ninety (90) days to investigate your complaint or question. For new Cards, we may take up to twenty (20) business days to credit your Card for the amount you think is in error.
We will notify you the results within three (3) business days after completing our investigation. If we decide that there was no error, we will send you a written explanation. You may ask for copies of the documents that we used in our investigation.
23. Our Liability. In no event will we be liable for consequential damages (including lost profits), extraordinary damages, special or punitive damages. We will not be liable, for instance:
a. If, through no fault of ours, you do not have enough funds available on your Card to complete the transaction;
b. If a merchant refuses to accept your Card;
c. If an ATM where you are making a cash withdrawal does not have enough cash;
d. If an electronic terminal where you are making a transaction does not operate properly, and you knew about the problem when you initiated the transaction;
e. If access to your Card has been blocked after you reported your Card lost or stolen;
f. If there is a hold or your funds are subject to legal process or other encumbrance restricting their use;
g. If we have reason to believe the requested transaction is unauthorized;
h. If circumstances beyond our control (such as fire, flood or computer or communication failure) prevent the completion of the transaction, despite reasonable precautions that we have taken;
i. Any other exception stated in our Agreement with you (Please also see Section 28 and 29 below).
24. Assignment. Your Card and your obligations under this Agreement may not be assigned. We may transfer our rights under this Agreement.